A buccal fat removal removes the buccal fat pad, a naturally occurring pad of fat in the cheek hollow area.
The size of the buccal fat pad varies with each individual patient, and the buccal fat pad in each cheek may be different sizes.
Buccal fat pad extraction surgery is typically not performed in people with thin, narrow faces as removal of the fat may cause the face to look gaunter with age.
Buccal fat removal surgery is a highly individualized procedure. It can address concerns for patients who are worried about full or chubby cheeks. If you are considering this procedure, be sure to do it for yourself, not for someone else or to try to fit any sort of ideal image.
In general, you may be a good buccal fat removal candidate if:
* You are physically healthy and at a stable weight
* You have realistic expectations
* You are a nonsmoker
* You are bothered by the appearance of your chubby cheeks
If you're considering surgery, spend some time reviewing buccal fat removal surgery photos and learning about what to expect during recovery. Preparation ahead of time helps patients have reasonable expectations and a smoother recovery.
During your buccal fat removal consultation be prepared to discuss:
* Your surgical goals
* Medical conditions, drug allergies and medical treatments
* Current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco and drug use
* Previous surgeries
Dr. Hakan Gundogan will also:
* Evaluate your general health status and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors
* Examine your face
* Take photographs
* Discuss your options and recommend a course of treatment
* Discuss likely outcomes of buccal fat removal surgery and any risks or potential complications
The success and safety of your buccal fat removal surgery procedure depends very much on your complete candidness during your consultation. You'll be asked a number of questions about your health, desires and lifestyle.
Be sure to ask Dr. Hakan Gundogan questions. It's very important to understand all aspects of your buccal fat removal surgery.
It's natural to feel some anxiety, whether it's excitement for your anticipated new look or a bit of preoperative stress. Don't be shy about discussing these feelings with Dr. Hakan Gundogan.
A buccal fat removal procedure includes the following steps:
Medications are administered for your comfort during the surgical procedure. The choices include intravenous sedation and general anesthesia. Your doctor will recommend the best choice for you.
A buccal fat removal surgery requires an incision on the inside of the mouth, on the inner portion of your cheek. Occasionally, the buccal fat pad may be removed during a facelift and not necessitate an incision inside the mouth.
Sutures close the incisions inside your mouth. Typically, these sutures are absorbable.
Your buccal fat removal surgery will result in a slimmer, more contoured cheek, specifically in the cheek hollow area.
Following your buccal fat removal surgery, you may be instructed to stay on a liquid diet for several days or longer. Dr. Hakan Gundogan may instruct you on special mouth rinses to reduce the risk of infection.
You will be given specific instructions that may include:
* How to care for your surgical site(s) following surgery
* Medications to apply or take orally to aid healing and reduce the risk of infection
* Specific concerns to look for at the surgical site or in your general health
* When to follow up with Dr. Hakan Gundogan
Be sure to ask Dr. Hakan Gundogan specific questions about what you can expect during your individual recovery period.
* Where will I be taken after my surgery is complete?
* What medication will I be given or prescribed after surgery?
* Will I have dressings/bandages after surgery? When will they be removed?
* When can I resume normal activity and exercise?
* When do I return for follow-up care?
Healing will continue for several weeks as swelling decreases. Continue to follow instructions of Dr. Hakan Gundogan and attend follow-up visits as scheduled.
Swelling may initially obscure the final results of buccal fat removal surgery. It may take several months for you to see the final results, as your cheeks gradually contour to their new appearance. The cheeks should appear less full or chubby in post-op results.
The practice of medicine and surgery is not an exact science. Although good results are expected, there is no guarantee. In some situations, it may not be possible to achieve optimal results with a single surgical procedure and another surgery may be necessary.
When you go home after surgery, if you experience shortness of breath, chest pains or unusual heartbeats, seek medical attention immediately. Should any of these complications occur, you might require hospitalization and additional treatment.
Following instructions of Dr. Hakan Gundogan is key to the success of your surgery. It is important that the surgical incisions are not subjected to excessive force, abrasion or motion during the time of healing. Dr. Hakan Gundogan will give you specific instructions on how to care for yourself.